Picnics are a perfect way to celebrate a day with someone special. Here are our tips for packing an impressive picnic, while allowing you time to focus on each other!
1. Start with a great picnic basket! We love a sturdy willow basket, complete with plates, flatware , water glasses, wine glasses, and a corkscrew....
2. You'll need a large picnic blanket - choose something soft in colors you love. Add napkins to match and, for a romantic touch, a vase or pitcher full of fresh wildflowers.
3. Bring a cooler or ice packs to keep perishable items cool, and to chill your wine or other beverages.
4. Serving spoons, wet wipes and plastic storage bags are always nice to have along.
5. Now, for the most important part - the food! Keep it simple, yet interesting. A few of our favorites:
- A good bread with a selection of 2 or 3 cheeses is a great start! Choose breads that will not overpower the flavor of the cheese, such as a classic French baguette or sourdough. Top with a chutney or a wine and fruit preserve for a sophisticated touch. A cheeseboard and a good cheese knife will make a beautiful presentation!
- A selection of antipasti is always good, and there are some wonderful choices that don't require preparation or refrigeration - marinated grilled artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, olives, and cornichons or pickles are all great options.
- If you want to prepare something ahead of time, a marinated shrimp salad or cold pasta salad works well - stay away from anything that includes mayonnaise.
- Limit desserts to those you can pick up and eat. Seasonal fruits are refreshing and add color and interest to your picnic...strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, grapes are excellent choices, and easy to transport. A shortbread or other crisp cookie (nothing with chocolate, that could melt!) are great for enjoying outdoors.
- Finally, be sure to include bottled still or sparkling water. Lemon or orange slices, prepared ahead of time, add a nice touch.