Ice cream on a hot summer’s day brings out the smiles and sticky-chinned child in everyone. This spring, I have seen the trend of making ice cream at home take off, especially recipes that don’t require an ice cream maker- a non churn recipe. I like the idea of making my own ice cream, you control the quality of ingredients and flavors. My two go-to flavors with ice cream are mint chocolate chip and anything with peanut butter.
For my first pass at making ice cream at home I thought I would make a more sophisticated flavor ice cream, one that is popular in Japan and is harder to find in the Northeast - tea based ice cream.
The Cherry Marzipan Green Tea from Tea Forte, gives the ice cream a overall flavor of Green Tea with the slightest hint of cherry. The Unbound Hazelnut and Chia Cherries really makes this ice cream quite sophisticated! The cherries add a spicy flavor and a refreshing bit between the cream texture of the ice cream.
For your next tea time, try a cup of ice cream instead!
Tea infused Ice Cream with Chia Cherries
- 16oz Heavy Cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 tbsp Cherry Marzipan Tea
- Unbound Hazelnut & Chai Spiced Cherries
- Add heavy cream to a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Once the heavy cream is simmering add the 2 tbsp of tea, letting it simmer for 2 more minutes, turn off heat and let tea steep for 15 more minutes.
- Strain with a fine mesh strainer (I didn't strain my until the heavy cream was cold, it adds a stronger tea flavor).
- Put tea infused heavy cream into the refrigerator until very cold. Once the cream is very cold, whip to soft peaks.
- Add ¼ can of condensed milk and fold into the whipped cream, until incorporated. Repeat until can of Evaporated milk is empty. Pour some mixture into a metal pan, and layer your flavors, repeating this process until cream mixture is finished.
- I added cherries but you could add shortbread bites, blueberries, toasted almonds, really anything you like.
Freeze and enjoy with in 3 days!