Pizza on Friday was a regular occurrence during my youth. Sometimes we would buy it from a local pizza place, but most of the time my mom would make homemade pizza. We loved it, especially in the summer because she hated to turn on the oven, so she would use the grill. Grilled Pizza, has been a family tradition for 20+ years and is probably one of my most favorite meals.
There is just something about the crust with a grilled pizza... it's crisp on the outside and the inside is nice and soft. I also love the fact that you can make them personal sized, so everyone can pick their own toppings.
This type of pizza is perfect for a party. My favorite house party I gave was a grilled pizza party. I set the table with all different sauces, cheese and toppings. My guests picked what they wanted and when the dough was ready on the grill they added it to the pizza. It was interactive and fun!
Friday is coming… Get ready and grill!
- 14 oz favorite pre-made dough (room temperature)
- Olive Oil
- Mozzarella (I used Smoked Mozzarella)
- Favorite toppings (I used La Medina Pomodoraccio Semi-Sun-Dried Tomatoes from our shelves at The Savory Pantry)
- Preheat your grill on high (make sure the grates are clean)
- Take half the dough and stretch it to the thickness you like your pizza, if you like really thin pizza I recommend using a rolling pin.
- Add pizza directly onto the grates of the grill and shut lid, at this time turn down the temperature to medium. The bottom of the pizza will start getting brown and releasing from the grates (about 5 minutes), once the bottom half is light brown(or a bit on the dark side if you like a nice crunch), flip the pizza dough.
- Brush with olive oil then add sauce, toppings, and cheese. Shut the lid and turn your grill to low. (For the pizza in the pictures, I made an impromptu sauce with a few semi-sun-dried tomatoes and roasted garlic in a food processor and topped with whole sun dried tomatoes, smoked mozzarella and basil.)
- Check it after 5 minutes. If the bottom is brown and the top is not melted yet, shut off the grill and close the lid for an additional 3 minutes.
- Slide your pizza from the grill to your plate and enjoy!