Is that big hunk of leftover Easter ham challenging you to make it count for something? So often, ham leftovers lurk tauntingly in the fridge until they eventually go uneaten, leaving us disappointed and feeling wasteful. We’ve rounded up some ideas from reliable sources so that this year, you can show those hams that you’re in charge and chalk one up for the happy plate team!
Slice It and Dice It
- Pots of Gold. For St. Patrick’s Day, Savory Pantry Team Member Erin Wood made "Hot Pots of Gold." Substitute the jalapeños for ham, and you’ve got another easy app to make with that incredible Beekman 1802 Beer Jelly.
- Ham Steaks with Sweet Pea Leek Pan Sauce
- Country Ham Flapjacks with Maple Syrup
- You Devil (ed Ham)! Use deviled ham as a sandwich or boiled egg white filling, cracker topping, veggie dip, or folded into an omelet.
Have leftover hard boiled eggs from Easter (that you’re pretty certain are still safe to eat and are only slightly tinged with turquoise and pink dye)? Here are some ideas for pairing ham with those and for the other dozen that are still fresh because you didn’t get around to opening that Paas kit.
- Country Ham and Breadcrumb Eggs, part of Southern Living’s “Deviled Eggs 20 Ways” roundup.
- Ham, Challah, and Gruyère Make-Ahead Breakfast Casserole. Substitute your leftover ham for the pancetta called for in the recipe.
- Quiche is such a versatile way to use whatever cheese and veggies you’ve got awaiting use (cheddar, Swiss, bell peppers, onions, broccoli, etc.). If you aren’t typically a baker, make it very easy on yourself by purchasing the best quality pie crust you can get in your local market or supermarket. Resist the temptation to overfill your pie crust because it may spill over and make a mess of your oven! Here’s one from Epicurious for “Ham, Leek, and Three Cheese Quiche” that looks incredible.
Toasts, or open-faced sandwiches, provide versatile ways to use your ham leftovers. If you can dream it up, you can put it on a toast! Toasts are also good options for putting to use other egg, vegetable, and cheese leftovers.
- The Savory Pantry's Grilled Bread with Brie, Arkansas Peppered Ham, and Beekman 1802 Ommegang Hennepin Beer Jelly
- Wild Mushroom Toasts with Ham and Fried Eggs
- Ham & Jam. Top your toast with a leftover ham slice and Inna Jam’s Bleinham Apricot Jam
- Deviled Ham on Toast
- Ham and Asparagus Toast
Ham, ham, ham I am. I like, I like, green eggs and ham!