Adapting to a new fall schedule can leave families reeling, but crossing two meals off your list by preparing them at once can make life easier, leaving more time for fun and relaxation. With summer's best tomatoes and basil in their final days, its the perfect time to make use of them to make two great family-pleasers before you can say "school supplies." Double or triple these recipes for larger families or to make extra to freeze and enjoy the brightness of summer as the weather turns cooler.
Tomato Basil Sauce with A L'Olivier Basil Olive Oil
- 6-8 Ripe Tomatoes, Tops Cut
- Two Heaping Handfuls of Fresh Basil
- Your Favorite Savory Pantry Salt and Pepper (remember, you can always add more later to taste)
- 5-8 Tablespoons A L'Olivier Basil Olive Oil or Favorite Savory Pantry Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic
Depending on how you like your sauce and soup, blend until smooth, blend until some larger pieces remain, or simply pulse until desired consistency is reached. Bring to a boil on the stove and simmer for about 20 minutes (long enough for raw garlic to cook) while preparing pasta if you are in a hurry, or simmer for hours in the Italian tradition. Serve over Rustichella d'Abruzzo Spaghetti or Linguine.
Tomato Basil Soup with A L'Olivier Basil Olive Oil
- Add as much cream or half and half as you are comfortable with to the above. That's it!
Make it Cheesy
Serve alongside a two cheese grilled cheese with Havarti and White Cheddar, or a single cheese selection of your choice. For adults and adventuresome kids, elevate your average grilled cheese by spreading on one of our delicious jams, chutneys, or jellies prior to grilling:
- American Spoon Apple & Onion Jam
- Virginia Chutney Company's Mango Chutney
- Beekman 1802 Ommegang Hennepin Beer Jelly
Stay tuned for our Easy Back to School Shopping List!